Total Pageviews

Monday, June 14, 2010

Design on a Dime - KITCHEN

Long story short...Dan had a ton of gorgeous tiles left over from a job he'd done over a year ago. After looking at them in our garage for a long time, we decided we should tile the backsplash in our kitchen. The tiles seemed too big, so I suggested we cut them in half, then Dan suggested we do a subway tile pattern...and we were hooked and off and running. Here are the steps:


It was my job (Emily, obviously) to measure and mark all 80 tiles during the week leading up the project. I used a square and felt very awesome.
Morning of project: Isaac and I had to prepare the area by sanding the walls and papering the countertops. Isaac was very helpful, vacuuming up all the dust I created.
Dan had to cut all 80 tiles, while rounding them off at the corners a bit.
We began placing the tiles. Dan taught me how to do it, I caught on pretty quickly, and he left me to it while he measured all the pieces that had to go around the outlets and ends of the row...and then he had to go back to the cutting for those special tiles.
Here it is all tiled, while waiting for the grout time.
Next morning: Grout!
Finished and gorgeous! We spent a total of $2.00 for longer screws to replace the outlet plates. Dan had all the rest of it from past jobs!

Fun cooking with it feeling so pretty! :)

3 comments:

  1. It looks GORGEOUS guys!!! I love it!! And am bubbling over with jealousy...we have a painted backsplash in our kitchen and I miss the subway tile from my old condo. GREAT job team Richards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!! Nice work Dan. That looks amazing! Maybe we need to do that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeffanie!! Idea: You guys buy all the stuff you need and if Dan and I ever make it back to Seattle we'll help you do it! :)

    ReplyDelete