Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Current project:

So? We are almost always in the middle of a project...and since the downstairs is pretty much complete...we're finally getting to our loft. Before I continue the explanation here's the picture of how it was literally "thrown" back in after we'd moved back in to our house.
We need our loft to be many things. An office, my craft room, a small playroom, a music room, and now we're thinking we'll need it to be a "guest" room. (No we're not pregnant...but if we were to have another baby we'd lose the guest room, and we're planners, which means we're thinking ahead and are getting a sofa bed). We're in the middle of this project so don't judge too harshly on the pictures you see!
We didn't want to have to move the wall cabinet, but the filing cabinets were not screwed in, so we decided to make a new desktop and use the filing cabinets as legs on either side, forgoing the L-shape desk. In other models of our home this area is used as a closet for a 4th bedroom, so we thought, if the desk and craft area were in the "closet", than we'd have a whole "bedroom" to make into a "living room". Catch the idea?
We got shelving brackets, painted them the same color as the wall, (which is a new color) and stained the shelves to match (as closely as possible) the cabinets. I still need to stain the legs in the middle of the desk so it all matches. But look at all that craft room on the right side! All those photo boxes were my old ugly patterned ones from as early as highschool, so I just spray painted them all black so we'd get a more uniformed look.




You can't tell the pattern of the curtains (stripes) or the colors because of the light from the window. But Dan and I know that the sofa bed we are getting is yellow (see the arm cover below) so we went to Joanne Fabrics and picked some fabric out that we thought would go with blue and yellow.....and I made the curtains and the pillow covers. yup! I tought myself how to sew before Christmas, and what a fantastic thing to learn to do! I successfully took 10 yards of fabric and made curtains, and took 2 yards of fabric and made envelope back pillow covers (so I can take them off and wash them!). I still need to hem the bottom of the curtains, but I'm just happy the stripes didn't turn out on the diagonal. Haha.







We now need to do some touch-ups...and a little hemming...and a little organizing...and we need to get the couch up these stairs...and Dan will build a short table for the corner to put the tv on, and maybe with a shelf for Isaac's games? I promise to post in a couple of months when its totally done, but I have to say...Its SO NICE TO COME UPSTAIRS!

No comments:

Post a Comment